MAKE EVERYONE COUNT on January 24, 2019!
On Thursday, January 24, 2019, the Denton County Homeless Coalition will conducted its annual Point-In-Time (PIT) Homeless Count. The Count, a requirement under federal law, helps communities and the nation as a whole, identify and understand the extent and nature of homelessness, changing trends in this area, and the measure of our success in ending homelessness. Results of the Count will be shared with the community in the spring of 2019. Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
JANUARY 24, 2019 PLANNING TOOLS
We believe that this would be a unique opportunity for organizations, ministries, and colleges/universities to engage our target population while providing a great service to your local community.
We need your help to make everyone count.
- VOLUNTEER – Registration Link
Conduct Surveys and/or Host a Donation Drive. Register at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/19PITCount
- SPREAD THE WORD
Please share with everyone. Hang a flyer at your place of work, school, house of worship, neighborhood cafe and anywhere else you can think of. Share the news of the Count on social media, using #DenCoCounts DOWNLOAD: 2019 PIT Count Flyer
SURVEY VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
January 24, 2019 12:01a-11:59p
Volunteers will meet at PIT Central in Denton and Lewisville 30 minutes before their shift. Volunteers will go out to count the unsheltered homeless, while volunteers staged at local agencies will count the sheltered homeless. The volunteers will follow maps that identify locations for canvassing under bridges, in parks, in cars, and in (safe to investigate) wooded areas and abandoned buildings, as well as other areas where persons may be seeking shelter from the cold.
We need teams of 3-5 persons who are 18 and older* and we need help from the community to recruit volunteers. This event, which requires a 2-4 hour one time commitment, makes for an excellent short term service project for organizations like local ministries, colleges/universities programs, companies, non-profits, service organizations, and neighborhood associations.
*persons interested in volunteering who are younger than 18 can collect incentives.
SCHEDULED TRAINING DATES: ^
- Monday 1/7 – 6:00pm to 8:00pm – Denton: United Way of Denton County
- Tuesday 1/15 – 6:00pm to 8:00pm – Lewisville: CCA
- Saturday 1/19
- 9:00am to 11:00am – Denton: United Way of Denton County
- 12:00pm to 2:00pm – Lewisville: CCA
*training is about 2 hours
January 24th VOLUNTEER RESOURCES:
PIT CENTRAL Volunteer Check-in
- Denton – Denton Civic Center 321 E McKinney St, Denton, TX 76201
- Lewisville – Next Steps Center 1305 TX-121 BUS Lewisville, TX 75067
What survey volunteers will need to bring to count?
- A reliable vehicle, gassed up and ready to go;
- A cellphone, charged up and ready to go;
- Appropriate dress for outdoor walking and weather appropriate outer wear (it’s Texas so plan accordingly)– bright colored jacket or reflective gear (if counting at night);
- Personal Water and Snack (as desired)
- At least two flashlights (if counting at night);
- Survey pack (if counting outdoors);
- Clipboard and pens;
- Incentive Packs (Available at PIT Central 1/24)
Incentives are being collected at United Way of Denton County 1314 Teasley Lane, Denton, TX 76205 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For 2019, Incentives being requested are Bus passes and $5 Gas or Grocery Cards.
Groups and volunteer under 18 are encouraged to host drives to collect these items. If you want to host a donation drive at your home/office/event, contact us for details: email@example.com
For more information in incentives, email: firstname.lastname@example.org