POINT IN TIME COUNT 2017
MAKE EVERYONE COUNT on January 26, 2017!
On Thursday, January 26, 2017, the Denton County Homeless Coalition conducted its annual Point-In-Time (PIT) Homeless Count. The Count, a requirement under federal law, helps communities and the nation as a whole, identify and understand the extent and nature of homelessness, changing trends in this area, and the measure of our success in ending homelessness. Results of the Count will be shared with the community in the spring of 2017:
JANUARY 26, 2017 PLANNING TOOLS
We believe that this would be a unique opportunity for organizations, ministries, and colleges/universities to engage our target population while providing a great service to your local community.
We need your help to make everyone count.
Conduct Surveys, Stuff Emergency Packs, Enter Survey Data & more. Register at: http://bit.ly/17PITCount
Items for emergency packs distributed to the homeless.
-Call Katie Klein 940-368-4538 or Drop-off Tuesday and Thursday 6:30p-8:00p
-Cumberland Presbyterian Children’s Home – 909 Greenlee – Denton, TX
- SPREAD THE WORD
Please share with everyone. Hang a flyer at your place of work, school, house of worship, neighborhood cafe and anywhere else you can think of. Share the news of the Count on social media, using #dentoncounts2017
SURVEY VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
January 26, 2017 4:00a-midnight
Volunteers will meet at PIT Central at Cumberland Presbyterian Children’s Home – 909 Greenlee – Denton, TX 30 minutes before their shift. Volunteers will go out to count the unsheltered homeless, while volunteers staged at local agencies will count the sheltered homeless. The volunteers will follow maps that identify locations for canvassing under bridges, in parks, in cars, and in (safe to investigate) wooded areas and abandoned buildings, as well as other areas where persons may be seeking shelter from the cold.
We need teams of 3-5 persons who are 18 and older* and we need help from the community to recruit volunteers. This event, which requires a 2-4 hour one time commitment, makes for an excellent short term service project for organizations like local ministries, colleges/universities programs, companies, non-profits, service organizations, and neighborhood associations.
*persons interested in volunteering who are younger than 18 can volunteer to pack donations on January 21, 2017 at 8:30a or enter completed surveys into survey monkey January 26, 2017 – February 10, 2017.
SCHEDULED TRAINING DATES (4 options, volunteers only need to attend one training):
- January 17, 2017 at 6p – Denton, St Andrews Church 300 West Oak Street Denton, TX 76201
- January 17, 2017 at 6p – Lewisville, Lamb of God Lutheran Church 1401 Cross Timbers Rd, Flower Mound, TX 75028
- January 19, 2017 at 3p – Abled Disabled Group. Email for Information
- January 21, 2017 at 10:30a – Denton, Cumberland 909 Greenlee – Denton, TX 76201 (follows the incentive packing)
- January 21, 2017 at 10a – Lewisville, Lamb of God Lutheran Church 1401 Cross Timbers Rd, Flower Mound, TX 75028
*training is about 1 hour
What survey volunteers will need to bring to count?
- A reliable vehicle, gassed up and ready to go;
- A cellphone, charged up and ready to go;
- Appropriate dress for outdoor walking and weather appropriate outer wear (it’s Texas so plan accordingly)– bright colored jacket or reflective gear (if counting at night);
- Personal Water and Snack (as desired)
- At least two flashlights (if counting at night);
- Survey pack (if counting outdoors);
- Clipboard and pens;
- Incentive Packs (Available at PIT Central and in Lewisville 1/25)
INCENTIVES PACKING VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
January 21, 2017 8:30a-10:30a
Cumberland 909 Greenlee – Denton, TX 76201
Incentives are being collected and stored at Cumberland Presbyterian Children’s Home Incentive Volunteers with gather at on January 21, 2017 at 8:30a to pack the incentives into emergency packs for distribution during the PIT Count on 1/26. There will be a SURVEY VOLUNTEER TRAINING immediately following packing incentives.
What does a data entry volunteer need:
- Transportation to and from Cumberland
- Ability to pack incentives from 8:30a-10:30a.
DATA ENTRY VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
January 26-February 6, 2017
Data Entry Volunteers will be provided a pack of Completed surveys to enter into the Texas Homeless Network’s Survey Monkey tool. Surveys can be entered in at any time. Survey’s must be entered before February 6, 2017. Once entered the original surveys must be returned to Data Volunteer Coordinator by February 6, 2017.
What does a data entry volunteer need:
- Coordinate pick up of completed surveys and return of original surveys once entered into THN Survey Monkey tool.
- Access to Computer or other internet enabled device that can connect to Survey Monkey to enter in completed surveys.
- Internet connection
- Able to enter surveys into Survey Monkey and return print surveys to Data Coordinator before February 6, 2017 (Completed original surveys need to be submitted to THN before 2/10/17)