Here is a recap of the DCHC General Body Meeting yesterday including a really informative section of updates by agencies on programs and services available.
For those who were not able to see the video about the 100K Home program to be implemented in Denton during National Homelessness Awareness week November 17-21, 2014, the link is http://youtu.be/0Ov11AIvQTg
HMIS – Roshaun Epperson
HMIS Training is Thursday April 3, 2014 from 9:30-2:30 (19 registered)
Homelessness Intervention / Program Updates – Sharell Clay
• Cumberland will have 2 units, one in April and one in May for single parent working at least 25 hours a week and has transportation.
• VA just issue a report on the number of homeless in Denton. Roshaun Epperson is following up for more details.
• Denton County Friends of the Family has openings
• Salvation Army is operating at full capacity and has had to turn some away
• Connections is full but has a short waitlist. Permanent supportive housing for single unaccompanied adult
• Catholic Charities Veteran program has 2 spots to provide rental assistance. Must qualify including honorable discharge, active services military.
• Health Services HOPWA has openings but in last month of the grant. Must be HIV+
• MHMR’s Psychiatric Triage Facility is now open with scheduled hours. Starting April 14, 2014 it will be open 24/7, 265. Individuals must not be intoxicated, under the influence of drugs and must be medically stable.
• Texas Star Program – ACA sign-ups have actually lead to an increase in individuals and especially expectant mothers qualifying for Medicaid and Medicaid CHiP. Agency will send a rep and information booth to any events
A question was asked about utility assistance and resources were discussed. Roshaun Epperson volunteered to expand list of service providers to include a list of services offered and the basic qualifying guidelines.
CoC Update – Alonzo Peterson
• Coordinated Access Network (CAN) updates – Front Door Agencies discussed the first month of CAN implementation regarding the amount of client traffic and lessons learned about the assessment tool. A reminder about the need for volunteers was shared.
Communications – Dani Shaw
• Committee will be meeting in May to work on:
– creating advocacy tools using the PIT Count data
– Content Calendar to push out more articles and information on homelessness
• Elections are in June. Interested in serving on the Steering committee? Contact Danielle.Shaw@CityofDenton.com
• CAN flier updated.
Street Outreach – Liz Buford
• Update from the field about Street Outreach efforts. Team moves around but currently working near the Emily Fowler Library. Looking for more volunteers to go out every other Wednesday in the mornings.
• There is a local Coalition of Community Health Clinics
• Students at Marcus High have identified the problem of Student Homelessness
• Giving Hope, Inc.’s celebrity waiter night is May 6th at El Guapo. Tickets still available
• Interfaith Apple Tree project is being supported by the Kiwanis Club fundraising event May 2. For information, http://www.PancakeSupper.com
• Habitat for Humanity has land in Pilot Point and is looking for a qualified family
• Our Daily Bread is hosting its Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
• NOW HIRING: Hooters needs cooks and front line, CC Grill, DCTA needs Customer Service reps and Bus Drivers, Salvation Army is hiring a Case Aid
The next DCHC Steering Committee Meeting is April 30, 2014 11:30a
The next DCHC General Body Meeting is June 4, 2014 3p (Denton Civic Center)